VAT exemption allows chronically sick or disabled people to buy eligible items at 0% VAT. This includes certain equipment that has been designed solely for disabled people. We are happy to be able to offer this and simply require a few bits of information to be compliant with Government legislation.
To self declare follow these steps:
1. Click here to Create Account. On PC this is a little 'person' icon on the top banner; on a Mobile device it can be found on the menu
2. Input your details and tick the box to declare that you are chronically sick or disabled, or that you are buying for someone who is, and state the nature of your illness or disability.
3. When you go to browse the products pricing will automatically be shown with VAT deducted off eligible items
Who is eligible for VAT relief?
VAT law states that you must be 'chronically sick or disabled' to qualify for VAT relief.
A person is 'chronically sick or disabled' if they either:
- have a physical or mental impairment that has a long-term and severe effect on their ability to carry out everyday activities
- have a condition that doctors treat as a chronic sickness - like diabetes, for example
- are terminally ill
A person with a temporary injury like a broken leg would not qualify, nor would a frail older person who is otherwise well and not disabled.
Things to Remember
We do NOT decide if an item is or isn't exempt and we don't make any more or less money if we charge you VAT or not. If you do not announce your exemption, or you are not eligible for VAT relief, we are obliged to charge you the full VAT on your order.
Not all products are eligible for VAT relief, so we are obliged to charge VAT at the prevailing rate for those products that are not VAT exempt. Postage charges are not eligible for VAT relief.
Please note this is only for customers living and purchasing in the United Kingdom.
You can find out more about VAT relief for disabled people on the HM Revenue & Customs website. If you cannot find the answer to your questions there, you can call their Charities Helpline, which covers VAT relief for disabled people.
Telephone: 0300 123 1073
The helpline is open 8.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday. It is closed at weekends and bank holidays.
By selecting a VAT exemption option and completing the details you are declaring that you are claiming VAT exemption under Group 12 of Schedule 8 of the Value Added Tax Act 1994. Once you have made your declaration all eligible products will be shown with prices NET VAT.
PLEASE NOTE THAT IT IS AN OFFENCE TO MAKE A FALSE DECLARATION